Friday, October 3, 2008

oh the similarities


If you've heard/read me say that I've moved to the "Lake in the Hills of Japan," know that the feelings have only intensified. Today, instead of teaching, I watched my students play in their soccer tournament. Now, many of you know that two of my brothers played soccer from pee-wee through senior year in high school, so I'm no newbie on the soccer sidelines. It felt at home pacing back and forth, calling out things I thought the ref might miss.  (I, however, wasn't actually helping the ref at all since I was yelling at him in a foreign language...) But, to add to it, there is a cornfield right behind the soccer field, just like all those fields in Algonquin. Several times during the game, I wondered if I had somehow morphed back to Illinois - perhaps at some ALITHSA  game (for those of you not from A-town, that stands for Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Soccer Assoc.). Luckily, I was able to snap out of it before I assumed my old familiar role as ball girl. (Although my students would've been highly impressed by my ball-shagging abilities.)

No comments: