Saturday, September 20, 2008

silly little things

Here's a brief account of some of the sillier things happening in my life:
  • It is 8:25 am on Saturday morning, and I am WIDE awake. We had some friends over last night, and we hung out until about 3:30, but I don't have curtains on my window, so no matter how late I go to bed, I cannot sleep longer than the sunshine. It's problematic. However, I'm being productive in my early morning alertness - I have already made plans to go to karaoke tonight with some Japanese friends. It should be an adventure.
  • I convinced one of my Japanese friends to only speak to me in Japanese from here on out, even though he speaks perfect English because he graduated from Cal State Fullerton. We're both hopeful that this will help me learn Japanese!
  • My job is still a blast. I can't get enough of my kids. Their joy is infectious. I get to be happy and silly all day long.
  • The closest store to my house is a Peruvian store, and all of the signs are in Spanish. I live in Japan. (But I speak Spanish, not Japanese, so I'm not complaining! :-))
  • On "bento day" this past week, I forgot my "bento" at home and had to order one when I got to school AND they still serve everyone creamy whole milk, even on "bento day."
  • I got the luxury of riding to school in a taxi twice this week  courtesy of the Moka Board of Education because it was raining, and it's safer than riding a bike.
  • There is supposed to be a terrible typhoon mauling Moka right now. We've been hearing warnings about it for days from everyone we know. "Stay inside all day Saturday!" they tell us... but it's Saturday morning and blue skies and sunshine.
Now I will put on my sunglasses and try to go back to bed.


No comments: