Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sports Festival!

Yesterday was Sports Festival at Moka Nishi Junior High School, my wonderful place of employment. This can best be compared to a Field Day at a school in the US. The kids perform a bunch of random "athletic" events, and parents and friends come to watch. It was a lot of fun. I got to run in a relay race with a 1st year homeroom class (think US 7th grade). I was really excited, and the kids were happy to have me because it was me or a 60 year teacher ... I guess I appear a little more fit...
Anyhow - things were off to a great start in the relay. Each 1st year homeroom had every student plus 2 teachers run in the relay. I was on white team, 11th runner. Things started off fantastically, great baton pass, and I was sprinting - running my little heart out. Students were shouting in amazement at how fast I was (no joke). At the end of my 40 meters, I put the baton in my left hand to pass it to the right hand of the next runner, a 1st year boy. As I hand him the baton...
he trips and falls on his face. 
No joke.
Everyone thinks I ran him over.
Great.
I love being a giant and getting blamed for accidents I don't cause simply because I'm bigger than everyone in Japan.
Sweet deal. 
Anyway, we lost the relay race.
No one was actually upset with me at all. In fact, throughout the day, people continued to compliment me for how fast I ran. Ms. Tanaka, the head English teacher and also the homeroom teacher for the class I ran with, told me not to worry and reassured me that her class was not good at PE, so even if the student had received the baton correctly, they still would have lost.
     In other Sports Festival news, all of the boys did this really
cool performance that involved various human pyramids to the beat of a giant drum. I enjoyed it. I couldn't imagine 
an entire male student body at a junior high school in the US performing such a task. 
Also, they had this event called "Rawhide" 
where students had to form a "horse" and "cowboy" and use a "lasso" to knock a can off a desk. It was interesting. Enjoy the pictures.

No comments: