Wednesday, April 22, 2009

funny happenings

Once upon a time I got confused about which train ticket to use in order exit the station, and I had to ask the station attendant for help - only I couldn't speak Japanese. He turned out to be incredibly kind and handsome, and even though I couldn't explain myself or what I needed help with, his smile made me feel at ease. He couldn't explain what I needed to do in English, so he just smiled and let me go without paying. When I met my friends for coffee just outside the station, I told them about my wonderful encounter and joked about how this man should be my Japanese boyfriend. My friends and I let ourselves get slightly carried away, and the crazy ideas started flowing. Soon enough, I was being cheered on as I slipped a note with my email address under the glass at the ticket window of the train station like any 15 year old girl and her friends would do. That was three weeks ago.
That night, Prince Charming wrote me an email. We exchanged emails periodically, but nothing serious and no developments. He lives two hours away. I don't really remember what he looks like, and I probably couldn't pick him out in a crowd. I had no expectations for future developments, it was just a wonderful change of pace to have someone smile and comfort me despite my inability to speak the language of the country in which I live. Giving your email address to a stranger is completely UNjapanese and I can't imagine a Japanese person actually participating in such folly.
Today I received an email from Prince Charming saying that last night he met two of my friends at the train station and made a promise that he will see me again.
What?
My life is funny.
おもしろい、ね。

No comments: