Friday, January 30, 2009

that doesn't look like Japan...

The other day, I had the privilege of virtually meeting some kids a friend was babysitting. Via a Skype video chat, they asked me where I was and I said, "Japan. Want to see it?" Then I held my computer up to the window so the boys could see Japan. The response I got?
"That doesn't look like Japan."
And they're right. Japan looks a lot like any other developed country. There are paved roads, grass lawns, street lights, and chain restaurants. On my bicycle ride to school everyday, I very rarely notice anything that inspires the thought, "Oh yeah, I do live in Japan."
Japan has a reputation for phenomenal technology. Let me tell you that, although my house is great and I want for nothing (thank you Dickens for introducing me to that phrase), there is nothing phenomenal about the appliances in my house. In fact, my bedroom light quite frequently malfunctions, shutting itself off when the switch is indeed in the "on" position. Additionally, of the three burners on my gas stove, not one will ignite itself - all must be lit with a lighter. My Japanese blender works about as well as my hand and a spoon, and manual labor will never reek of burning rubber, while my blender most assuredly will each I turn it on. While I'm on a roll, it should be noted that if my roommate and I decide that between the two of us, we would like to use the microwave and the dryer, our fuse box boycotts us in our electrical hoarding, and we lose power in half the house (once it was the entire house!). So, I feel confident quashing the stereotype about Japanese technology being something great.
...And then, I see it. The little, square, 2cm x 2cm pattern that looks like something requiring those ultra trendy red-lensed 3d goggles. It's included in the nutrition facts label, in a sidebar ad online, or on an information plaque at the aquarium. What is it?
It's a "Magic Eye" puzzle, and if you let your eyes go completely out of focus, a hidden picture is revealed.
Just kidding.
It's a type of barcode designed to be scanned with Japanese cell phones. The phone automatically opens a web browser and takes you to an information page providing all the details about whatever product/company/exhibit you were reading about when you saw the barcode. They even have these magic squares on the McDonalds "food" packaging. One little scan and you can instantly read about the lack of nutrition found in your BicMac. 
This just might be phenomenal technology.
There are other random technologically ingenious concepts that I come across, but they're always so subtle and removed from any and all hype that they generally go under the radar. I will try to be more observant and keep you posted on further finds...

No comments: